“If there’s no chocolate in Heaven, I’m not going.”
Chocolate! A substance first discovered by Europeans when the explorer Hernando Cortez reached Mexico in 1519 and found that the civilization of the emperor, Montezuma and the Aztec peoples, treated this amazing substance with reverence. At that time, chocolate (called chocolatl) was used as a refreshing and potent drink.
“You can always depend on chocolate”
- Because dark chocolate has higher amounts of cacao and lower amounts of sugar, it is considered healthier than milk and white chocolate.
- Dark chocolate contains a high amount of antioxidants that helps the cardiovascular system by reducing blood pressure.
- Eating dark chocolate widens arteries and promotes healthy blood flow that can prevent the build-up of plaque that can block arteries.
- Those who eat dark chocolate on a daily basis can reduce their risk of heart disease by one-third.
- Flavonoids found in cocoa products have antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-clotting effects that can reduce the risk of diabetes by improving insulin sensitivity.
- The smell of chocolate increases theta brain waves that causes relaxation.
- For those who suffer from migraines, chocolate can actually trigger headaches.
- Because chocolate contains caffeine and sugar, chocolate products are one f the biggest causes of ADHD in children.
- Most chocolate in the United States comes from cocoa farms where workers suffer from unsafe conditions and receive below poverty wages. Many of the workers are under 14 and do not receive an education.
- The Ivory Coast provides 43 percent of the world’s cocoa, serving as the world’s largest cocoa producer. According to the 2002 report from the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture, an estimated 284,000 children were working on the Ivory Coast and other African countries.
- Fair Trade Certified chocolate says that no forced abusive child labor is used. Fair Trade chocolate unfortunately only represents less than one percent of the $66 billion chocolate market.
“Anything is good if it’s made of chocolate.”